What is in this article
Initial Purchase / Install
- Choose a hosting service
- If the hosting service is not also a domain registrar, sign up for a domain with a domain hosting service.
- For a ‘all-in-one’ hosting service (Domain registration, plus DNS, plus hosting of WordPress), you choose one or more domains as part of the sign-up (onboarding) process.
- For example I have wildtechgarden.com and wildtechgarden.ca pointing to a WordPress instance. In addition, danielfdickinson.ca and danieldickinson.ca point to the same WordPress instance (though different from the one for the wildtechgarden.* domains).
- In the address bar use https NOT http. (http is unencrypted and is less secure).
- The full URL (web address) of you WordPress Login page is:
https://domain.tld/wp-login(where domain.tld is the domain you purchased such as example.com).
- I recommend you do not click on the email link as it uses http.
Edit the Admin User
- On the top right, select admin
- In the drop down select admin
- Scroll down to the ‘New Password’ Section.
- Select ‘Generate Password’
- Record your new password.
- Select ‘Update’.
- ‘Log Out Everywhere Else’
Set some basic site settings
- On the left sidebar, select ‘Settings’ and scroll to ‘Site Language’
- Choose ‘English (Canada)’ (for Canadian viewers only).
- Select ‘Save Changes’
Make sure WordPress is up to date
- Select ‘Please update now.’
- Select ‘Update Now’
- Once the update is complete you will see ‘WordPress 5.6’ (as of 2021-01-28 8:11 AM EST) and a title ‘Welcome to WordPress 5.6’.
A few things remain for a secure WordPress site in 2021.
Select Site Theme
- On the left, select ‘Appearance’
- Select ‘Update now’ on the ‘Twenty Twenty-One theme.
- Then select ‘Activate’.
You’re now running WordPress with the Twenty Twenty One theme.
Next up: using the ‘Site Health’ tool.